Please download a couple of examples of log parsing automation. You’ll see 2 simple ways of daily Hyper-V traffic usage reports generation. We use Microsoft LogParser software (it is free) in one of the examples, because our customers asked for that.
The file contains scripts and a manual. All is quite straightforward 🙂
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or need more examples.
If you want to stop Hyper-V virtual machine in case of bandwidth over usage you can use the following VBS script and Hyper-V Bandwidth Meter settings.
Hyper-V bandwidth meter settings
You can download script source code below. It stops a virtual machine and also sends email notification to server administrator.
Be sure you have CDO installed on your server and working SMTP localhost server.
Download this script, unzip it and change
eml_to strings in stop.vbs file.
What is new in Hyper-V Bandwidth Meter 2.0:
- The Bandwidth Meter is an active application now, not just a passive observer. It can send email notifications if some bandwidth threshold reached, run scripts and do other things.
- IPv6 support.
- Improved configuration tool.
- New improved reporting (log parsing) tool.
- New reports look.
- New, significantly revised network packets parsing procedure. Works better with 1 Gbit connections now.
- The program saves data to its log files every 5 minutes (you can set any other interval from 5 to 60 minutes with 5 minutes step) now, it was once an hour in versions 1.x.
- Log files can be saved in any folder now.
Please read more and download the new version of Hyper-V Bandwidth Meter.
Here is a bandwidth usage report sample (click to enlarge):
To upgrade Hyper-V Bandwidth Meter from 1.0.13 (or any older 1.0.x version) to 1.0.14:
1. Stop BwHyperV Windows service (Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Services …)
2. Download BwHyperV1.0.14-upgrade-EXE.zip
3. Extract BwHyperV101.exe from BwHyperV1.0.14-upgrade-EXE.zip and replace C:\Program Files\BwHyperV\BwHyperV101.exe with this new EXE file.
3. Start BwHyperV Windows service (Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Services …)
What is new in Hyper-V Bandwidth Meter 126.96.36.199:
- New virtual machines (virtual servers) list updated every 30 seconds.
- Service configurator improved: Now it shows virtual server count per Hyper-V network. It makes the service configuration even easier.